Roman Life I: A Roman Family
20 questions @ 5 pts each = 100 quiz pts.
Due by Lesson 17
Read pp. 10-11; review the introduction on pp. XII - XV,
including the maps; print out and answer the questions below. The answer key
can be accessed from the Roman Life Index by your facilitator.
Bona Fortuna, Omnês!
||in vîlla rûstica located at Baiae in the region of Campania
||A.D. 80 (July)
||Rome is noisy, smelly and steamy hot
|Gaius Cornelius, pater familiâs
|Aurelia, mater familiâs
|Marcus, filius (16 yrs)
|Cornelia, filia (14 yrs)
|Sextus, puer Romanus (12 yrs), living with the family while
his father is overseas in Asia Minor; used to live in Pompeii, where his
mother died in eruption of Mount Vesuvius.
|Flavia, puella Romana and Cornelia's friend, living in
|Davus, servus and boss of the vîlla rûstica
- Describe a "villa rustica."
- Do Cornelia and Marcus attend school while at their villa? _____________________
- Name the Greek tutor who gave Cornelia a book about her namesake. _________________________________
- Give the father's full name. _______________ __________________ _______________ (his 3rd name is given in the video lesson)
- Give the son's full name. _______________ __________________ _______________ (his 3rd name is given in the video lesson)
- Cornelia has a ____________________________ form of her father's name.
- Aurelia's father must have been named _________________________________.
- How old is Marcus? ________
- How old is Cornelia? ________
- Gaius is master of his own house and legally he also has the power of ______________ and _______________ over his entire ______________________.
- Aurelia's household tasks include: _____________________________, which signifies being __________________, and other house activities involving a large number of ___________________.
- Who is Sextus' guardian? ___________________________
- Where does Flavia live? _______________________________
- Who is the mother of the Gracchi brothers and why is this discussed in the readings?
- Where is Baiae located? (see pp. xi & xii) ________________________________
- Why did Roman senators have villas there? __________________________
- What attracted Romans to Baiae?
- Describe the Bay of Naples.
- Vesuvius destroyed what town? _____________________________________
- What are Corsica, Sardinia, and Sicily? (see the map on p. xv) __________________________________